论坛

Keep Calm and Carry on

YaXu5 (23 posts) • 0

AlPage, good questions that await addressing as they may pertain to some of us expats returning to South of Cloud.

FYI, over a month ago Wuhan residents quarantined in designated hotels near KM Changshui airport had free board. Even food delivered to them daily were free. But that was then, this is now.

That said, quarantine measures in Spring City after January 22 was swift. Props to our local municipal officers and local community volunteers for handling their biz early on. They could be seen wondering the streets early mornings disinfecting communities. Still are.

The relative low count in Kunming could also be attributed to strict, top-down containment measures. Not just geographical (distance from epicenter) and low population advantages where mass departure of migrant workers during lunar break, and not being able to return to KM as transportation were cut off, as JanJal could attest.

Some of these formulae of success ought to be emulated in countries where new outbreaks are budding, rather than downplaying for the sake of appeasing markets and business normalcy, in the case of current U.S. administration.

China's economy was sacrificed for a solid month for containment purposes. Businesses and consumer confidence still hammered as a result. You gotta give them that much at least.

lemon lover (1006 posts) • +1

Meanwhile in Iran…..
At least 27 people have died from alcohol poisoning in the Khuzestan and Alborz provinces of Iran trying to prevent infection of the coronavirus, Iranian news agencies reported on Monday.
“Some of the citizens of Ahwaz had heard that drinking alcohol could help them fight the coronavirus, so they used it as a preventive measure,” said Ali Ehsanpour, spokesman of Ahwaz University of Medical Sciences, according to the Mehr News Agency.
With the outbreak of Covid-19 in Iran, rumors and unscientific treatments on how to fight the virus have spread on social media. Among them was drinking alcohol.
However, with the ban on alcohol in Iran, some have been poisoned by drinking industrial alcohol sold in the market for sanitizing purposes.
While the official number of confirmed coronavirus infections in the province of Khuzestan was 73, at least 218 Iranians were hospitalized from alcohol poisoning in the medical centers affiliated with Ahwaz University of Medical Sciences.
“One of the victims got blind and some others are in critical condition,” Ehsanpour added.
Moreover, in the northern province of Alborz, seven people were killed because of alcohol poisoning, Mohammad Aghayari, deputy prosecutor of the city of Karaj, told Iranian Students' News Agency.
abcnews.go.com/[...]

sezuwupom (44 posts) • 0

Patrons of will be allowed to dine inside restaurants, not just take out, starting tomorrow throughout most of Kunming.

Is Colin in Thailand, or is he back to open Sal?

colinflahive (167 posts) • +3

taking a vacation wasn't worth the chance of returning to a home quarantine. it looks like we will open tomorrow with limited hours and limited seating with hopes to expand on both later this week. though kris and i will have to be the enforcers of the new rules.

l4dybug (89 posts) • 0

Thank you colinflahive for the update. Btw, if your airline ticket was booked a while back, I believe you could apply for full refund due to force majeure stipulations. May business at Sal prosper as consumers gradually regain their confidence to dine out.

JanJal, you had a comical theory that during our nationwide quarantine, birth rates across China will increase in 9 months time in September/Oct or so.

Well, sorry to rain on your animal farm parade. As government offices opened a few weeks back, one in particular was the Ministry of Civil Affairs that handled marriages & divorces.

Apparently divorce registrations surged. I guess not all married couples locked down under one roof for over a month were as honeyed as your squealing home. lol

JanJal (1243 posts) • +2

@l4dybug: "Apparently divorce registrations surged"

It would be interesting to delve deeper into those figures, but I can continue on my theory anyway.

Could it be that many of those divorcing couples either already had children, or were unhappy of their present spouse to have one with (or at all)?

I can imagine that having both parents (and possibly grands also) at home, could raise debates about child rearing when neither parent has obligations outside home to justify not taking part in such at home - or observing any other realities of stayhome parenthood.

Either way, I'd expect these divorcees to move on, and (at least one of the former couple) soon enough find a more ideal candidate to make offspring with.

I recognize that in the hypothetical situation that I was to divorce, a likely candidate (knowing myself) for new relationship would come with expectation to have a child with - while otherwise a second child is not something we are planning.

So yeah, divorces could have been expected, but it doesn't necessarily mean less children in the big picture.

l4dybug (89 posts) • 0

Well, we'll see if the collective tummies of missus start expanding in the months to come.

As the hurricane storm seemingly passes over us, moving beyond hinterlands to wreck havoc on your English Premiere League (possible suspension until further notice), one can't help but notice the butterfly effect... the societal or marital typhoon generated from a wing flap elsewhere.

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

The marital typhoon may not be so noticeable in countries where both the divorce rates and the societal acceptance of divorces is at another level than in China, and has been for a while. Nothing to add to those by a puny virus.

l4dybug (89 posts) • 0

You dare say that directly to their "puny" faces?

After all, the once destroyer of empires has in a few days brought entire EU down to their knees, after knocking out the Middle Kingdom for the count... and now they're going after the most powerful military nation in the history of warfare.

Related forum threads

Login to post