论坛

computer advice?

Ishmael (462 posts) • 0

Regular feature for gokunming, perhaps? Or for another forum addict?

I'm in Kunming. I use Firefox. Time on my computer is correct local time. Yahoo & gokunming show my mail, gokunming posts etc. from a different time zone (about 15 hours earlier, according to which I wrote this note around 1am this morning).
Firefox tells me I should reset time zone for I dunno I guess everything I open with firefox browser. Good, that makes sense. I find page to reset. They offer me 6 choices for 'nearest city' - all are in North America.
I spend the next 3 hours trying to find something more reasonable.
WTF?

I'm very sure this is extremely simple crap for many people who post here, but there are idiots like myself who waste hours and hours - literally - just trying to get the damn thing to work right - and failing to do so over and over and over again.

I write things. It takes concentration. It CANNOT be done when every creative thought and selection of words, sentences, plot development, process of analysis etc. is interrupted repeatedly by searches through endless overwritten badly written long confusing and then finally useless screeds by hired geeks in silicon valley or somewhere, just to be able to rely on the local time zone to find out things like: When did this happen? Etc.

The Point: isn't there somebody around who would really like to deal with computer problems generally on a forum here, for the benefit of idiots like some of the rest of us? Wouldn't this be a very highly practical regular feature for gokunming? (yeah, they'd probably have to hire somebody as the editor has real things to do, that have to do with real language communication and not electron machines etc.) Would help if he/she (the geek in love with this stuff) can speak straight and write clearly rather than offer 127 obscure choices following every computerscreen button pushed, all explained in computerese rather than in, say, French, English, Chinese... anything human.

This is a heartfelt plea.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

GoKunming is not progressive. They just do maintenance and sell ads. The best way to get help is to just post on the forum what the problem is and several regulars will try to help. As far as the time issue is concern, the problem probably has to do with the setting on the computer itself. Go to control panel and selection 'time and date'. Select the time zone that says:

"(UTC+08:00)Beijing, Chongqing,Hong Kong, Urumqi"

This should do it.

Ishmael (462 posts) • 0

Liumingke, thank you. I did as you advised.
Computer time was no problem, everything okay for Kunming time. However, "Internet time is synchronized with an internet server": time.windows.com
Chose Beijing etc. - now my computer says it's 9:43am.

Was not using a VPN.
Idea about what I have to do next? I'd like to pay attention to the world around me, but I'm having my teeth pulled, one at a time.

And now I fixed that and it's 6:46pm July 20 again on my computer, but it seems this post was posted "a day ago".

Ishmael (462 posts) • 0

Aw, screw it, I don't give a damn what time it is. Was going to start the chapter of a book today; instead I've spent about 6 hours playing games with this twinky crap. And of course I lost the game.
Rant. Won't bother you any more.

Ishmael (462 posts) • 0

I have no idea what is pirated or not any more.

Liumingke, thank you very much for trying to help.

dolphin (509 posts) • 0

yeah hey ishy, blame your poor plot development and writing block on gokunming time zones and zuckerberg and the expressvpn help desk.

Ishmael (462 posts) • 0

Fixed, somehow, mostly by itself.
I don't know how these things happen.

Ishmael (462 posts) • 0

Widnows 7 Ultimate.
I shut down, get message: "installing updates" (there are many), "don't turn off computer."
Updates are installed, computer shuts down.
I turn on 'pooter, get message: "failure configuring updates, reverting."
Each time I go through the above there are more & more updates.
Meanwhile, after I wait for all this crap to do it's thing, the computer is working fine.
Suggestions? I think I'd like to disable automatic updates - is this a good idea? How to do it?

Related forum threads

Login to post