论坛

Favorite snacks from big grocery store

sanfranciscoguy888 (26 posts) • 0

What're your favorite relatively healthy snacks from the big grocery stores like Walmart or Carrefour? Like maybe low in msg or sugar. Or especially no partially hydrogenated fats.

I liked the spicy roasted peanuts. They might have had a bit of msg, but not too much. Also the kit kat copy cookies. Didn't remember that it had partially hydrogenated stuff in it.

Also how much or how difficult is it to get greek style yogurt at a fair price? By that I mean the ones with good fat content, lots of protein, and somewhat low in sugar. I'm tempted to make my yogurt (via sous vide) when I get there since I may be there over 2 months.

I notice eating out in Kunming is almost as expensive as in the US.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

The cost of living in Kunming is expensive, some things more expensive than even Shanghai. Eating out, like for like is and example.
Greek yogurt is expensive, as is cottage cheese, in comparison with EU and especially the US; where dairy is cheaper.
You can make your own Greek yogurt, I have, an flavor it with jam if you want that style of fruit flavor. There is a recent thread on making yogurt on here if you search.
My favorite snack, which is seasonal, is the candied whole kumquats.

Ishmael (462 posts) • -1

see forum on yoghurt & ask there, not sure many people would think of it as a snack.

dolphin (509 posts) • -10
Comment hidden by user downvote 点击展开更多

ok, i nominate tiger as the freakin' village elder. guy knows everything. including pricing in both EU AND US. at 5000 posts, let's give this man a prize.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • +3

i nominate dolphin as the freakin village idiot, guy knows nothing he didnt get from breitbart and other conspiracy sites. lets give th eman a coconut, and a maga hat

mr_woggle (30 posts) • +1

I like those red dates or big dates from Xinjiang. Not sure about the health index, but they have a lot of fiber.

Last time I found some dried seaweed, a bit salty but quite tasty.

I eat a lot of other snacks too, but I guess they are kinda unhealthy?

Like dried fruit, mango, orange skin (a lot of sugar). Dried spicy beef (yeah, even those vacuum wrapped in small bags).

Ishmael (462 posts) • 0

Most or all of what Mr. woggle mentions do not require a trip to Carrefour or Walmart.

mr_woggle (30 posts) • 0

Yeah, you can just go to the local market, local supermarket, street vendors or buy it on taobao. Not sure if I know any snacks that are Walmart-exclusive haha

redjon777 (560 posts) • 0

The only snacks I get in Carrefour which I don't see elsewhere are their fruit and nut chocolate bars and a pack of Haribo.

Yep, now you know why my health ain't top notch lol.

Mind you I do get a lot of tinned Tuna which I use to make several easy eat stuff like salads, pastas etc.

Related forum threads

Login to post