Tenwest Mandarin School


Anyone here gotten a Chinese Green Card?

JanJal (1063 posts) • +1

"business ownership, the annual income of the business must exceed 40k RMB"

Went for a second visit today, and was corrected that the figure is 400k RMB.

Also there's apparently two ways:

a) capital investment bigger than 500k USD


b) annual revenue from company > 400k RMB AND your personal annual tax contributions > 10k RMB

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

Maybe with the new phase 1 China trade deal it will be easier.

JanJal (1063 posts) • 0

Also we were told that in order to qualify, I would have had to reside at least 9 months every last X years in China.

Now combine that with China's tax laws - after latest tax reforms, foreigners can prevent being taxable on their world-wide income by single 3 month or more stay out of China every 6 years. I believe previously it was also 3 months, but could be combined from multiple travels abroad.

So if you want to apply for permanent residence, you have to show that you have stayed at least 9 months every year in China, but at the same time you may want to avoid staying more than 9 months in any 6 year period.

Not sure how they calculate it - would having your long visits abroad over Nov-Feb be a solution, if one is based on calendar year and the other is not...

JanJal (1063 posts) • 0

We were supposed to visit Entry & Exit in Baoshan on our CNY trip, but they are still closed and we are still stuck in mountains, so settled for phone call with some staff that was in office.

I'm not convinced that the person on phone had it right, but different deal from Kunming seemed to be that instead of fixed 100 000 RMB deposit, they want to see a deposit that equals the living expenses for next 10 years - how ever much or little that would be, in bank for duration of 6 months.

These required living expenses would be calculated from local average or some other offical figure - even if we would be living in Kunming.

Furthermore, because my wife's huokou is not in Baoshan city, but in one of the surrounding counties, the person couldn't say how much the living costs are there. A figure of 1300 per month was thrown out as a guess. Which would be about 160 000 RMB.

We were told that in Baoshan there has been "many" applications, but only 1 succesfull, and warned that it's really difficult to get.

I don't know, but I'm speculating that in the prefectures there may be more mixed marriages from neighbouring countries, and that may contribute to the "many" applications.

baiyuxiang (105 posts) • 0

The 100,000 figure that Kunming uses is meant to equal the living expenses for ten years. Perhaps mentioning Kunming's standard practice might be useful.

JanJal (1063 posts) • 0

Yeah did, and was told that Kunming is doing it wrong because in Baoshan they come up with bigger figure, and assume (rightfully I think) that Kunming should be more expensive.

100k for 10 years comes to 30 RMB per day. Doable perhaps, but...

OceanOcean (1167 posts) • 0

I suspect it's just a nominal figure to show means. If they were actually working something out it would be unlikely to total exactly 100,000RMB.

DanDare (91 posts) • +2

In a culture where people won't say , "I don't know", people will just pluck answers out of the air. I would wait until the right person gets back from holiday, and ignore everything else I heard for now.

liuer2 (37 posts) • 0

Not clear what this means. Present residence card is valid for 10 years, does permanent mean no time limit?

The Ministry of Justice on Thursday published draft rules on foreigners' permanent residence in order to solicit public opinion.

The draft rules are meant to further the country's opening up to the world, standardize the administration of foreigners' permanent residence in China and protect the legal rights of aliens who have obtained permanent residence.

Foreigners with internationally acknowledged achievements in the fields of economics, science and technology, education, culture, health and sports will be able to apply for permanent residence, according to the draft rules.

Foreigners who have made outstanding contributions to China's economic and social development, including engaging in public welfare activities and promoting exchanges between China and other countries, can apply upon the recommendations of relevant national departments or provincial-level governments, they said.

Talented foreigners in urgent demand in some industries or regions of the country who are recommended by relevant authorities-including university professors and senior managers in high-end enterprises-may apply for permanent residence, they added.

The draft regulations stipulate that foreigners whose investment in China is at least 10 million yuan ($1.42 million) or who invest in an area under the country's encouragement measures with the amount of investment, tax payments and the number of Chinese citizens employed meeting prescribed standards, are eligible to apply.

Eligible applicants also include spouses of Chinese citizens.

The draft rules added a new section regarding conditions under which foreign employees in China can apply for permanent residence, including foreigners with doctoral degrees or diplomas from an internationally renowned university who have worked in China for at least three years and have resided in China for at least a year.

The draft rules require permanent foreign residents to live in China for at least three months each year.

Departments under the State Council and government at all levels should provide convenience for permanent foreign residents when they need banking, education, medical and transportation services, according to the draft rules.

Aliens with permanent residence may pass through channels for Chinese citizens when entering or leaving the country. They can purchase commercial housing in China, and are eligible to use the housing fund, they said.

Permanent foreign residents or their children who move with them can receive compulsory education in China at no charge.

Organizations and individuals can submit their feedback on the draft regulations until March 27 via the ministry's official website or by email.


Login to post Register to post