论坛

Food Restrictions

k8rplum (1 post) • 0

I just saw a gastroenterologist in Bangkok and have been told to find one in Kunming. Any one know of a gastroenterologist in Kunming that speaks some English?

Also, I will be starting a diet with out wheat, gluten, dairy, nuts, and sugar. I also can't have spicy food. Is this diet even possible in Kunming or even China?

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Yes, but you'll have to be rather picky when you eat out, though avoiding dairy and nuts shouldn't be hard. Suggest that, unless your gastroenterologist says your wheat&gluten problem (not hard to avoid in restaurants, unless tiny bits of gluten will kill you - just don't order wheat noodles or bread) and spicy food problem (the latter not really hard to avoid in many restaurants) are actually serious, you decide to roll with it a bit. Spicy food can indeed be a bit of a problem at first if you are not used to it, but most people can adapt, though of course you don't have to eat spicy food.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • +1

You can always just cook for yourself. The local markets are well stocked. Or order salads and steak at western restaurants given your dietary limitations.

Start with the grace medical clinic if you need English. It's in the listings.

SpartansSpartans (184 posts) • 0

Hello, I'm a doctor and also a celiac. Be very careful when eating out because 99% of all soy sauce has wheat in it, which for me, in tiny amounts, means diarrhea and weeks of reflux. When eating out tell the cook, not the waiter the two magic sentences: Bu fan jiangyou bu fan mian fan, no wheat flour, no sauce.

Alien (3819 posts) • +1

@ Spartans, how serious are the cases of the majority of the blooming western population who figure they have to avoid gluten?
Also: What 'fan' (apparently there are at least 2 different characters being referred to) are you referring to in the pinyin above? I can't guess, maybe the cook or waiter couldn't either - maybe you mean 'fen' for the term 'mianfen'? What does 'bu fan' mean - do you mean 'bufang'? Note that 'jiangyou' is, specifically, soy sauce only - there are plenty of other sauces, don't know if they are supposed to be avoided also.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

不放 means "not put" . I would say 别放(don't put...)

面粉
miànfěn
NOUN

wheat flour; flour

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Right. 不放 is pronounced 'bufang';

别放 is 'biefang' - 'bufang' might work, but 'biefang' is indeed what should be said.

Related forum threads

Login to post