论坛

thumbs up & down

Alien (3819 posts) • -1

Seems to me the thumbs-down function is useful for application to posts that have nothing to do with the topic, for those that are only insulting weak-ego hissy-fits between posters, and/or things like outright racism etc. Better than anything similar to censorship.
Thumbs up for agreement with post.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • -2

I agree but I won't give you a thumbs up or down. This function is useless. Where's the spam button. I've been asking for since 3 years ago.

Alien (3819 posts) • -2

@ liumingke: If you agree, why do you say it is useless?
Seems to me spam should be dealt with by gokunming - such a button could well lead to legit posters disappearing posts that they didn't happen to like.

Napoleon (1187 posts) • +4

Sorry, thumbed down when I wanted to thumb up. Apologies. I'm on the phone and my thumb was too fat.

I think its a good idea but some sensitive souls obviously consider it a personal affront to their empty insights.

And as you mentioned it can save me from reading through drivel, unrelated posts and posts that are offensive, and can be used to hide spam.

nnoble (889 posts) • +5

The days of threads attracting 20 and more pages, most pages past number 4 containing self-indulgent one-on-one arguments, are largely history.

If thumbs can be proven to have contributed to this improvement, then anyone advocating their demise should offer an alternative that will achieve a similar result. On one occasion, as far as I've noticed, thumbs have 'censored' one alternative but unattractive point of view. That's unfortunate.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

@ nnoble: Not sure if threads you mention are really history. I didn't know that a certain number of thumbs-down could 'censor' (you mean remove?) a post - I don't think that's good either, but otherwise the thumbs function makes it easier to protest hissy-fits etc. and make it unnecessary to get into a long one with the offending poster, which will likely produce another post of the same nature - anyway, what alternative? The thumbs-down doesn't bother me and I read whatever I want to.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • +12

It certainly has reduced the hissy fits, and as pointed out, you can show what you think of a post without getting into a 'long one'. It already seems to led to some more considered and contributory posts, which can only be good.
Even three thumbs down does not remove the post. You can still view them if you want, as such it isn't censorship; but is a clear signal to the poster. Yes there will be the odd post that gets thumbs downed and hidden, when perhaps it shouldn't. Unfortunate, but one post in hundreds is really no consequence, nothing posted on here is ever life shatteringly important.

goldie122 (645 posts) • -6
Comment hidden by user downvote 点击展开更多

In a perfect world it would serve a needed function.

Unfortunately, some people on here are too immature to use this function correctly.

But if it has in fact lessened hissy fits then I guess it's beneficial.

The Dudeson's (1106 posts) • -13
Comment hidden by user downvote 点击展开更多

I don't think that the thumbs are really helping in the long run.

First they are rather new and the post is not deleted but just hidden. One click and you can still see what was posted.

From what I have seen, they are mostly helping to hide unpopular post. Even though there wasn't anything against the posting rules, not even strong argumentation, but more than 3 people don't like it and it's gone.
So it's just streaming opinions from which ever group or individual is represented stronger, or which of these people are online to give negative clicks, or even old rivalries could get you a default click from a poster, just because he doesn't like you.

I have not used them yet, except once to try, but it was a positive one anyway.

Useless for what they aimed for.

I have seen a thread were 2 people were still fighting it out after both threads were hidden.

IMO there just hasn't been a strong emotionally charged thread for another poster multi-page-bashing.

I hope it stays that way. :)

Related forum threads

Login to post

This thread is locked.