论坛

Where can I buy a map of Kunming?

grayo46 (8 posts) • 0

Anyone know where I can buy a bilingual map of Kunming and the surrounding area?

I'm still living in the Stone Age and prefer the old style rather than electronic.

Thanks
Grayo

Napoleon (1187 posts) • 0

At most small kiosks around the town, if not then try the bridge near to QingNian Road just west of the Parkson shopping arcade, or the book shop next to the Bank of China across from the JiaoSanQiao Metro station on Beijing Road.

voltaire (225 posts) • 0

Napoleon's advice is good: the large sheet, folded, printed maps are available at kiosks for a few RMB. Unfortunately, because of the size of Kunming these days it doesn't fit on the map anymore, so don't expect such a map to cover areas such as Chengong, the far north, etc.

The only other printed maps commercially available that I am aware of are in provincial map books, which can be purchased at Xinhua bookstore. There is one at the corner of Dongfeng Xi Lu and Renmin Lu (northeast corner of Xiaoximen), and another on Dongfeng Dong Lu just above the road tunnel in the walking mall at the center of town. The map books are better if you plan to travel, as they offer low-resolution topographics of each county.

Long-Dragon (390 posts) • 0

Most of the maps mentioned are maybe not bilingual. These have usually been harder to find in Kunming. You can print some out from online sources still hard to find. Xinhua sometimes has them in English. We provide them to our clients.

grayo46 (8 posts) • 0

Great advice guys, I have made a note of all of that and will head out on a map finding mission very soon.

Thanks for taking the time out to respond, much appreciated!

Graeme

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

The detail level of any English or dual map is going to be pretty sparse, major landmarks mainly, and different among maps. Go to the suggested kiosks and bookstore and just buy every map, and carry the two best with English on them and cross reference, and maybe a third Chinese one with buses and transit hubs.

chini (4 posts) • 0

i also do not like staring at devices as i wander around places i do not know the way around. =)

the upland hostel near green lake has a free bilingual map of the city centre which they'll give you at the front desk if you ask nicely.

you can also simply print out the google map or any other online map that includes english.

Related forum threads

Login to post