论坛

Dahon folding bikes

Trebek (3 posts) • 0

Does anyone know of a bike dealer that sells Dahon folding bikes? What about larger frame mountain bikes (21 and larger)?

Thanks

voltaire (225 posts) • 0

Folding bikes are OK for commuting but are not frequently used for off-road conditions due to the inherantly reduced strength of the frames. They frequently have smaller-than-normal wheels in order to provide enhanced portability at the expense of overall efficiency, terrain capability and comfort. Here in Kunming you can no doubt buy folding bikes but you won't get much use out of them. Better to buy an e-bike (commutes) or go a full MTB (can do mountains).

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

I've got a touring bike. Similar frame to MTB, better racks, front suspension, and slimmer tyres, so that there is less drag/road friction. And like the MTB it fits in an elevator to take it up to your apartment. Also consider that Kunming roads and cycle paths can often be pretty low quality, the small wheels are a hindrance. BTW I have never been overtaken by a folding bike, even those with multiple gears.

I agree with Voltaire, unless you are going to throw it in a back of a car, frequently, or you have some other special need for portability, folding bikes are not as practical, or as versatile, as a regular bike.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

There is Dahon dealer, but forgot where. If you got a big budget, try the Xiong Brothers, as they have a couple of nice folding bikes. Folding bikes can go into checked luggage and the subway, so it's all about portability, and many now are electric.

Trebek (3 posts) • 0

I agree that they arent nearly as good off road. But in crowded Chinese cities, nothing beats a Dahon for their nimble ability to ride through crowds of people, bringing the bike inside bars and restaurants, carrying them up narrow stairwells ETC. I find the ability to carry the bike in Taxis, buses, trains, planes, the subway a huge plus, and they really are as fast as mountain bikes unless the bike has slicks on them. I've ridden 1000s of KM's in several Chinese cities and find them indispensable. I did find a P8 a couple hours ago so no need to answer my post. Thanks for the well meaning advice all :)

voltaire (225 posts) • 0

Saw a Dahon folding bike for sale for ~2500CNY in a bike shop on the western side of Xichang Lu yesterday, just south of the major intersection between the JinMa Biji road and Xichang Lu (ie. BaiMa turnoff).

Trebek (3 posts) • 0

Thanks Voltaire and Lester, I found an excellent P8 at the Bike Mart. Anyone want to go riding around the lake or around town some weekend, let me know.

Related forum threads

Login to post