论坛

Hospital recommendations for giving birth

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

On another note - the physician recommended my wife NOT breast feed as she tested positive for one of the hepatitis screens. We'd already intended to go formula - but I was curious about whether blood passed through the umbilical cord can somehow screen and filter out the hep virus - which is what the physician was obviously implying.

Regardless, they gave the newborn a full screen of NB vaccinations. As our three year old will be attending pre-school this year - we may need to change our position on vaccinations for the newborn, since our home is no longer a relatively closed system.

Mandrake (129 posts) • 0

Laotou, thanks for the very detailed info. So to date we have been visiting a lot of hospitals and questioning them, and looking also on the Chinese forums online to see other's opinions and feedback.

Today we visited the woman and children's hospital which was ok. The head of the department actually introduced herself to us and was very friendly, but they seem to be a bit overworked, and space could be an issue, i.e. having to wait in the corridor while waiting to go into labour.

We also looked at the No. 1 People's hospital as well, which so far is looking to be our best option so far. They are not as busy, and hence not overworked. There are rooms with 3 patients to a room or single rooms available. Their patients never have to sleep in corridors. We have an appointment with the head of the obstetrics department on Monday. So we will see and judge from there. According to online reports, this seems to be one of the better hospitals and this doctor has good reviews from the locals in Kunming.

Yeah I am kinda averse to the international hospitals as I have heard of avoidable deaths in 2 of them that was a result of lack of facilities to deal with complications, or doctor error.

I never expected it to be so difficult here in Kunming choosing a hospital. It was an absolute pleasure with our first child when we were in Ningbo, none of the corruption and bullshit that KM seems to have.

The Dudeson's (1106 posts) • 0

we had our daughter at richland and they did a great job. especially that there were complications during birth.
they mastered it brilliantly.
we paid 13k including pre and post check ups. 6 or 7 days in a beautiful private room.

doctors consultations, daily. i was present during birth in the OR, we got a really good briefing of what will and could happen.
we said we didn't want C- section. and they werr happy to do so.

i heard chinese clinics never keep with the agreed price. there are always emergencies that require overly expensive tretment, and most def. c-section.

the cheapest i heard of 6500RMB but it was more of a meat factory, than giving birth.

from what i heard 8k to 10k is a realistic number when giving birth in a chinese kmg hospital. for us the 3 to 4k were worth the extra perks and stress free time. money well spent.

Bessa (1 post) • 0

Thank to all of you for sharing experiences and info. I hope more people will join to share.

We are moving to Kunming for a longer period of time and hoping to get pregnant and give a birth there in a year or two. I really hope, until then we can find a good hospital there. I hope we can avoid going away from home to other city or country just to give a birth.

Also, we don't seek for what Chinese might regard as luxury treatment (room, food, english staff, meditative music etc.), I don't mind staying in rooms with a bunch of other women. I just need hospital with highly-experienced senior doctors and all emergency scenarios equipment.

Please, share more info. We will be really grateful.

baiyuxiang (111 posts) • 0

One factor to consider might be the tendency for highly-experienced (and often well-known) doctors to be recruited by more expensive (and presumably higher-paying) hospitals.

The doctor who was recommended to us at Tongren Hosp. has since moved over to Angel Hosp., for example.

For sheer volume (experience), though, the large public hospitals see the most babies born.

Mandrake (129 posts) • 0

Just an update. In the end we decided on Calmette International hospital which is affiliated to No. 1 peoples hospital to give birth to our daughter. Overall the experience was good. It's a new clean hospital. There was no overcrowding. The service was very good and the head of obstetrics oversaw my wife's delivery. Despite being an International hospital, it only cost 2800RMB for a natural delivery. I'd highly recommend the hospital to anyone else who is looking for a good hospital to deliver in.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

I think highly of that hospital also, but just to be clear, it's still a Chinese hospital, meaning English language and doctors aren't really accessible. Pediatrics is an exception where they do have Western physicians.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

You mean, perhaps, English-speaking doctors, & physicians who actually come to China from Western countries? I've never been to that hospital. 'Western'-medicine medical care is widespread in Kunming.

malavika (5 posts) • 0

@Mandrake,
Where is this Calmette International hospital? Can you please let me know the chinese name for it?? I am also looking for a good hospital for giving birth, earlier i went to Angel for some checkups, its quite expensive but their service is quite good. I want to know more about other hospitals and then decide. I went to Yunda No 2 Hospital but the doctors even don't speak putonghua, they just speak Kunming dialect and they don't allow husbands or men to be inside their rooms. So it was difficult for me to communicate. Besides this, i waited for around 3-4 hours to see the doctor and too much crowded.

I would like to know which hospitals would provide a single room with atleast clean and better facilities with the rate being moderate.

Thankyou

Related forum threads

Login to post