论坛

environmental documentary

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

So I guess I was wrong - state didn't want you to see it after all - article has disappeared. No blame to gokunming, but it would be interesting to know what happened to the article and how it happened.

scally (127 posts) • 0

Thanks for understanding, everyone. Censors took the film offline entirely on Friday and we decided, in the interest of the site, to take our article down as well. No one contacted us or told GoKunming to do it, we simply decided to err on the side of caution. This is, to my knowledge, only the second time we've felt the need to do this in the site's nine-year history. And we hope this instance is the last.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Sorry to hear it - would have been nice to have the article anyway, but I'm not in your shoes & defer to your judgement.

Hope the documentary film maker doesn't get busted.

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

how long did they let it stay online before removing it?

it's a publicity stunt to convince people that it's not state-sponsored. and to make people seek it out even more. millions have already seen it. now the remaining people will be intrigued because it's allegedly banned.

like the Hollywood film about North Korea that was allegedly hacked. just a publicity stunt.

and i only watched 10 minutes, but it's a Ted Talk format. if most of the film is like that, it didn't cost anywhere near 1 million RMB to make.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

@Magnifico: maybe, but one gets tired trying to second-guess these guys.
Maybe the VPNs will be the next to go.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

@Magnifico
Does she have to be imprisoned in a labor camp before you can take it at face value? Didnt you watch it? Did it seem like govt made propaganda?

Also, your example about the movie The Interview is wrong also. Sony will have lost tens of millions in gross ticket sales, not made up by online buzz. The hack will estimated to have cost more tens of millions in downtime and security.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

@scally
If you are going to disappear this thread, do it now, so I don't bother with it.

Also, won't be the last, cause you have to live and work in this country.

Xiefei (539 posts) • 0

It's been removed from most Chinese internet sites. One theory is that they decided to take it down just for the duration of the "two conferences." It certainly wasn't a question of response time. You can bet your ass they were discussing whether to take it down within an hour of its posting, and they probably knew about it before it even went online.

As for The Interview, the evidence that the Sony hack was actually carried out by North Korea is pretty slim. It was most likely a disgruntled employee working together with hackers "just in it for the lulz"

Related forum threads

Login to post