The Old Theatre Inn

User profile: Soffenoffe

User info
  • RegisteredJune 20, 2012
  • RegionChina
  • VerifiedYes
  • RegisteredJune 20, 2012

Forum posts

Forums > Living in Kunming > Visa extension requirements for Kunming.

I'm curious about 90 day tourist visa extensions, is it something available only to those with family where they apply for the extension? I used to think that only 30 day extensions were possible, but last summer after having come to China to visit my brother I was informed at the Beijing Lu visa office that since my brother was studying in Kunming, they could've given me a longer visa extension, but now it was too late as I had already extended my visa twice when out traveling. Didn't really matter as I later got a student visa, but still, would've been good to know that earlier. If one comes to China to visit a girlfriend or boyfriend, is the same generous extension offer available I wonder, or do you have to get hitched first?

Forums > Living in Kunming > Visa run(s)

I will need to do a visa run soon, as my Chinese student visa expires on March 23rd, but I wish to stay in China for another two months (maybe three), researching my thesis. My school which does some shady visa business offered me a two month student visa without having to attend class for 1900 yuan (including the 400 yuan visa fee), but to me that feels like a bit much for a two month visa which I won't be able to extend like a tourist visa (I'm guessing there might be other Kunming language schools that have the same type of offer for a cheaper price though?). I'm thinking going to Vietnam and applying for a new visa would be a better option, since I don't need a visa to Vietnam if I stay for less than 15 days (and also I've been dreaming of seeing northern Vietnam ever since reading L'amant). People say it's impossible to get a Chinese visa at the embassy in Hanoi unless you're a Vietnamese resident though, but at the embassy's website I found nothing stating this, they only write that non-Vietnamese applicants need to supply a copy of their Vietnamese visa, so it's all a bit confusing, I'm not sure which information to trust. Anyone with recent experience in the matter? Would I have to go to Ho Chi Minh City? That seems a bit far, then I might as well go to Hong Kong. I also hear that normally you can only get a one month tourist visa in Vietnam or Hong Kong, not a two or three month visa, is this so? Thanks in advance for any help on this matter!


No results found.


Great article indeed! Fascinating! Now I know what to do on Sunday after attending the Dali Equinox Party! I've been longing for an "obviously Muslim area" since I left Xinjiang after traveling there last summer. Maybe I'll stay a day extra and visit the temple complex hasenman mentions as well, sounds like a lovely place.