Keats School

User profile: Yuantongsi

User info
  • RegisteredFebruary 6, 2007
  • RegionChina
  • VerifiedYes
  • RegisteredFebruary 6, 2007

Forum posts

Forums > Living in Kunming > Child permit

Not putting the child on a Hukou has some advantages.

The government might not recognize the passport but as long as you also have the government issued Exit/Entry permit you are good to go,,,and come back again.

They don't need a visa to stay in China as they are Chinese.

If they have a foreign passport, getting an exit/entry permit is easy and takes about a week (not legal if the kids are on a Hukou, and not possible if the PSB know they are registered on a Hukou) and after the first permit the application can be done in the city where you live, not where the Chinese parent's hukou is.

International schools are allowed to enroll these kids after seeing both the Passport and Exit/Entry permit.

It's a very good system for JV marriages if they plan to take their kids out of China fairly frequently to the fathers "home" country.

The negative side of not being on a Hukou means you won't get a local "free" education or an ID card nor a Chinese passport.

Also if you plan on your kids going to a Chinese Uni, again for "free" here then getting them on a Hukou is important as without one they cannot do the GaoKao.


No results found.


@Xiefei, I remember about in the late 1990's that Beijing had regulated that public toilets be free and that if you needed to use a toilet that you bars and restaurants had to let you use their toilets even if you were not a customer.

Places like Yunnan implement laws differently. For eg: Tobacco advertising is illegal in China, but in Yunnan you wouldn't know that.



when we renovated we took our workmen to B&Q to select materials from their excellent range if samples. Then with that list in hand we went to the construction market near Mingbo bridge and got the same materials at either half or one third of the B&Q price.

It's a good place for window shopping.