Tenwest Mandarin School

Forums

Problems with my Chinese phone

chris8080 (171 posts) •

Hi, I know this isn't a technical forum but maybe someone's had similar problems.

I just bought a new phone - Samsung Galaxy S2 - but having trouble using some apps, particularly some games. I downloaded some 3D shooter games, for example Duke Nukem 3D, but when I try to open them it says "unfortunately Duke Nukem 3D has stopped". Annoying. Some other apps I also have problems with, like Hanping Dictionary will not update, and the Google Play app won't open at all (although I'm able to access it through the browser, but it just takes a long time to open).

I was wondering whether it's a problem with the phone and I need to return it, or whether apps generally don't work as well in China. I downloaded Duke Nukem through Samsung Apps, but then later I checked on Google Play and it said "this app is not available in the country you are in".

chris8080 (171 posts) •

Anyone?

I went to the place I bought the phone today and although I couldn't understand the guy well I think he was saying that a lot of non-Chinese apps/games simply don't work in China. Is that true? If so, that's mental.

Philou (81 posts) •

it's certainly the Chinese version of the Android OS they installed on the phone. Try to install a new one like cyanogenmod.com, or a factory reset maybe?

chris8080 (171 posts) •

When I'm in England, will it be easy enough to install the non-Chinese version? I'm not technical at all, so can I just go to a phone shop and get them to do it?

AlexKMG (1024 posts) •

Yes, the android Chinese carriers put on their phones is very different from the android OS you will get on a phone you buy in the US or HK.

Google Play won't work, so you won't be getting many if any English apps. Your best option is to return the phone, if possible. Otherwise, learn how to root (aka reflash) your China phone with a proper android OS. This requires a good amount of learning off the net, and if done improperly, can brick your phone.

hongxiongmao (22 posts) •

Hey Chris,I had the same problem,which I solved by reflashing the phone to a stock UK firmware,simple to do,but just like Alex suggested,it may result to a bricked phone if done improperly (I've rooted/reflashed many phones,never had a problem personally though),just make sure to read a bit before attempting anything,or have the seller do it for you,if you are confident enough that he'd succeed or take liability if anything goes wrong.

chris8080 (171 posts) •

Hey, thanks for the comments. I did some research and it looks relatively straightforward using something called SuperOneClick. Is that what you use Hongxiongmao?

chris8080 (171 posts) •

Actually, having had a further read, it seems there are a lot of things to think about and I'm not 100% confident about doing this myself - and possibly ending up with a 'brick'.

Is there someone genuinely knowledgeable in this area who'd be able to help me out? Of course, I'd be happy to pay for the service.

hongxiongmao (22 posts) •

I am using a software called Odin3,I used it to reflash 3 samsung phones so far (all purchased in China,but are all european made),and no problem with them.

This is a guide that sums up what I do when I need to reflash : www.jayceooi.com/[...] make sure to download the correct kernel for your phone,the one that matches the phone's region.The download should be about 700mb.

Hope this helps.

Login to post Register to post